Daniel J. Edelman Holdings
Business Affairs Director (Legal)
The Director of Business Affairs leads a team responsible for assessing and managing risk associated with public relations and advertising programs created for all mediums. The position is based Chicago and will support all DJE Holdings Companies, including United Entertainment Group. The Director will report to the General Counsel & Global Privacy Officer.
The successful candidate will have extensive experience in licensing intellectual property, contracting a wide range of production vendors, working with SAGAFTRA, celebrity and scale and non-union talent, and will be familiar with the digital media and public relations landscapes. The candidate will have an understanding of legal issues relating to content creation. In addition, the candidate must be able to work effectively in a complex environment with diverse stakeholders including senior management, operations, legal counsel, account mgmt and content creation teams.
• The primary function of the Director is to provide proactive support to by assisting teams in contracting, understanding and complying with agreement terms.
• The position requires an individual who is comfortable working both independently and within group dynamics, can implement process, procedures and policies while monitoring content programs.
The following are specific responsibilities:
• Manage and mitigate the risks associated with content programs in digital, experiential, print, and TV buys. In particular, identify and flag risks relating to intellectual property, the regulatory environment, SAG concerns etc. Recommend and assist in implementing agency policy and process regarding risk management to teams and senior management.
• Vet vendors for compliance with contracting guidelines. Manage content review process throughout campaign development (treatments, scripts, rough cuts, final cuts). Re-evaluate contracting guidelines to address rapidly-changing executions.
• Manage a team that handles a heavy volume of correspondence and contracts. Draft, negotiate and administer complex agreements. A high degree of confidentiality and discretion are expected in regard- to all matters and documents.
• Serve as a liaison between attorneys and client teams.
• Supervision of the Business Affairs team of hybrid Talent/Production Managers based in Chicago and New York.
• Create and implement training materials.
• Advanced degree preferred and director level experience.
• Understanding of industry issues specifically relating to digital media content creation and media buys.
• Expert level understanding and implementation of the SAGAFTRA commercials contract and working with signatory clients and talent
• Strong drafting skills and an understanding of legal terms and negotiating strategy.
• Ability to effectively articulate complex issues in writing and verbally.
• Contract management experience.
• Familiarity with FTC disclosures for native advertising.
• Proven managerial success within a Business Affairs department.
• Strong project management skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as a cooperative member of a team as well as interact with senior level executives and clients.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.