Manager Safety - EH&S Distribution Center (Marketing)
This position reports directly to the General Manager, Operations. We are searching for an industry leader in Safety. Someone that thinks about what influences people? What's wrong with the concept of root cause? Why can't a perfect procedure exist? Why will one set of corrective actions work for some people but not others? We believe that understanding the truth behind questions like these is crucial to good leadership.
The Safety Manager must have the experience and ability to develop, manage and drive implementation for the overall safety, health, and environmental strategies for the Florence distribution center. We need a leader that will establish programs to assure compliance with local, state and federal agencies to raise employee awareness of risks and to reduce, avoid, and protect employees from hazards in the workplace. Does this sound like you? Apply today! Job Responsibilities:
• Creates, coordinates and conducts safety training programs by planning and scheduling training sessions and consulting specialists when necessary.
• Leads management team to perform weekly safety audits (LSA/JSA) and drives timely completion of action items associated with the safety audit process.
• Spends majority of time in the distribution center observing employee activities and workplace conditions to develop recommendations on improvements and to drive business unit management engagement and completion of improvement activities.
• Coordinates the completion of accident/incident investigations including timely completion of associated action items and scheduling of incident reviews with leadership
• Researches federal, state and local standards and regulations. Acts in an advisory capacity to the organization on regulatory compliance matters.
• Prepares materials for, and conducts, safety trainings and meetings for employees and work groups.
• Leads the safety committees to identify and develop improvement recommendations on the effectiveness of safety processes and programs.
• Analyzes accident/incident data to evaluate and recommend solutions to improve the effectiveness of safety within the facility.
• Compiles and presents statistics on key safety metrics for internal use and external groups such as OSHA.
• Responsible for the administration of the facility's EMS. Keep abreast of applicable laws and regulations through training or other methods.
• Ensure that all requirements set forth in the Environmental Management System (EMS) are fully developed, effectively implemented and adequately maintained. Assist all levels of management in developing procedures, work instructions and identifying and providing special environmental training.
• Drives ongoing development and implementation of all Safety and Environmental programs/systems with the appropriate allocation of resources to guarantee their success.
• Recommends necessary changes to safety processes, including safety rules, policies, practices, training and personal protective equipment programs.
• Reviews and selects safety equipment to maintain and improve the company's safety equipment standards program. Works with employees and supervisors to ensure standard tools and equipment minimize risks to employee health and safety.
• Provides guidance and training to supervisors, employees and safety committees on the behavioral safety process and other continuous improvement techniques as they relate to occupational safety and health.
• Assists with other activities as necessary to evaluate and reduce potential risks to employee.
• Bachelor's degree with emphasis on occupational safety and health and environmental or an equivalent combination of training and experience required
• 5-10 years EH&S experience required
• Knowledge of federal, state, local, and OSHA and environmental regulations is a must
• Distribution industry experience highly preferred
• Demonstrated experience as an instructor in hands-on training required
• JDA warehouse management system experience preferred
• Demonstrated success at development and implementation of a safety strategy in a cross functional and matrix organization required
• Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work effectively in a diverse work group and to communicate with people at all levels of the organization