Excellus Health Plan Inc.
Account Sales Consultant I - 011518 (Sales)
Under the supervision of the local Manager, Sales/Regional Sales Director, and having attained an extensive and thorough knowledge of all contracts, enrollment regulations and membership and billing procedures, will be responsible for sales and leading the provision of service solutions of assigned accounts and territories. In accordance with established annual sales and retention goals, provides account training, benefit consulting, guidance and coordination of account benefit plans. This position is responsible for account activity in their assigned lines of business.
For Labor Accounts: positions in this area are additionally responsible for: coordinating efforts with other Account Sales Consultants that have union membership. Coordinates labor communications, and attends regularly scheduled trustee and labor advisory board meetings.
For Ancillary Accounts: positions in this area are additionally responsible for: coordinating efforts with other Account Sales Consultants that have Ancillary Opportunities and membership. Coordinates Ancillary sales communications, and attends regularly scheduled Ancillary advisory board meetings as assigned.
Primarily responsible for managing community rated accounts of 100 and fewer eligible employees' lives. Typically has fewer than three years of sales experience.
Primarily responsible for accounts of 101 and more eligible employees, local and small national groups, typically with a mix of community rated and experience rated health accounts. The accounts will typically have less complex financial arrangements and will be predominantly Health Plan based employee populations. Typically has more than three years of sales experience.
Primarily responsible for several of the following:
• Book of Business contains a majority of experience rated health accounts
• A broad range of financial arrangements including several self funded clients
• More than half the accounts are large national accounts or are accounts with several hundred eligible employees
• Several accounts with complex benefit structures
• Ability to explain and answer questions about the financial aspects of rate determination, renewal, and underwriting to clients.
• Demonstrated leadership ability – mentoring of level one and two consultants, lead role on projects, committee participation, assigned management responsibility in absence of management.
• Additional education and training deemed above the minimum requirements for the position, i.e. graduate level courses, RHU or other sales specific certification, PAHM, FAHM, or other industry specific certification, training classes intended to enhance job specific skills.
• Ability to manage complex relationships involving group leaders, brokers, senior management and internal departments.
• Exemplifies a senior level professional with respect to confidence, professionalism and discretion.
• In accordance with corporate sales goals, will identify, qualify and create specific strategy for prospects and accounts assigned.
• Thoroughly acquaints appropriate account personnel with benefit explanations, claims filing and billing procedures, proposed rate adjustment rationale, mandated benefits, statutory changes and state and federal issues impacting health insurance delivery systems. Conducts educational meetings to review existing benefits and describe new benefits. Will assist in conducting open enrollments, re-enrollments, implementation of benefit changes, etc. Will arrange for proper response to claims inquiries and resolution of related problems.
• Serves in a consultative role to establish an appropriate comprehension level of benefits for assigned accounts. Responsible for the provision of service solutions to accounts to ensure account satisfaction.
• On a regular basis, provides consultative services to assist the account's representative in establishing and meeting the goals of the group's insurance program. Provides advice on such matters as benefit design, health care financing, health care legislation, the health care delivery system and the best way to communicate benefit information to employees.
• Prepares and participates in educational programs such as pre-retirement seminars, community information programs, health fairs, etc.
• As required, assists in the development of new programs or modifications to existing contracts to accommodate prospective or existing account needs in conjunction with actuaries, consultants and others.
• As required, performs research and coordinates the preparation of new or revised benefits booklets for distribution among account employees. May also edit or otherwise assist in the preparation of benefit descriptions for employee manuals, handbooks or general information circulars.
• Responsible for territory and time management reports for assigned accounts. Reports will include, but not be limited to, profiles of enrolled and un-enrolled accounts and updating of respective account profiles. Submits reports to management for review and consideration.
• Responsible for maintaining detailed accounts and prospect history through the use of a sale force automation program.
• Evaluates and otherwise develops a familiarity with the benefits packages of competitive carriers and their sales strategies.
• Effectively manages time and schedules contact per account as determined by account needs and management. Initiates the appropriate paperwork to keep account file and databases current.
• Keeps abreast of corporation, national and legislative developments impacting the delivery of health care benefits through meetings, professional societies and publications.
• Keeps management advised of significant field developments.
• Consistently demonstrates high standards of integrity by supporting the Lifetime Healthcare Companies' mission and values, adhering to the Corporate Code of Conduct, and Leading to the Lifetime Way values and beliefs.
• Maintains high regard for member privacy in accordance with the corporate privacy policies and procedures.
• Regular reliable attendance is expected and required.
• Performs other functions as assigned by management.
We include multiple levels of classification differentiated by demonstrated knowledge, skills, and the ability to manage increasingly independent and/or complex assignments, broader responsibility, additional decision making, and in some cases, becoming a resource to others. In addition to using this differentiated approach to place new hires, it also provides guideposts for employee development and promotional opportunities.
• Valid NYS Accident and Health License within six months of employment required. Employees without a license are not eligible for any sales incentive awards or contests. Any sales made while not licensed are not eligible for incentive compensation.
• A minimum of four-year degree preferably in Business Administration with Marketing or Liberal Arts major or equivalent experience required. Previous direct sales or insurance industry experience required.
o For Labor Accounts: A minimum of four-year degree preferably in Business Administration with Marketing or Labor Relations. Previous labor market experience required.
o For Ancillary: Previous direct ancillary sales or insurance experience required.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to deal effectively and professionally with all levels of account management and personnel required.
• Ability to effectively sell products offered through application of appropriate sales techniques backed by extensive product knowledge including contract administration, enrollment regulations, competitive financial arrangements and membership and billing procedures required.
• Ability to adapt and respond to the diverse and unexpected situations normally encountered in marketing and service occupations required.
• Ability to independently travel in a timely fashion to customers throughout the health plan markets.
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 40lbs of materials
The Lifetime Healthcare Companies aims to attract the best talent from diverse socioeconomic, cultural and experiential backgrounds, to diversify our workforce and best reflect the communities we serve.
Our mission is to foster an environment where diversity and inclusion are explicitly recognized as fundamental parts of our organizational culture. We believe that diversity of thought and background drives innovation which enables us to provide leading-edge healthcare insurance and services. With that mission in mind, we recruit the best candidates from all communities, to diversify and strengthen our workforce.
OUR COMPANY CULTURE:
Employees are united by our Lifetime Way Values & Behaviors that include compassion, pride, excellence, innovation and having fun! We aim to be an employer of choice by valuing workforce diversity, innovative thinking, employee development, and by offering competitive compensation and benefits.
In support of the Americans with Disabilities Act, this job description lists only those responsibilities and qualifications deemed essential to the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c) Non Manager