Field Application Engineer - Edge Networks (Architecture)
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) enables secure connections and infrastructure for a smarter world, advancing solutions that make lives easier, better, and safer. As the world leader in secure connectivity solutions for embedded applications, NXP is driving innovation in the automotive, industrial & IoT, mobile, and communication infrastructure markets. Built on more than 60 years of combined experience and expertise, the company has over 29,000 employees in more than 30 countries and posted revenue of $8.88 billion in 2019.
MPU Field Application Engineer (FAE) - Edge Network
As a Field Application Engineer, you'll be one of the key players in the Customer Application Support team and part of a worldwide technical community providing premium technical support to NXP customers and their projects. You drive demand creation and design-in activity at customer sites in close cooperation with the NXP business lines; you provide technical skills & support to NXP's sales staff and will work with the NXP technical community about technical issues and future roadmap of your customer(s). We rely on you to deliver the NXP value message in a persuasive and accurate manner, in order to increase our market share.
As an MPU Field Applications Engineer you will drive design wins for NXP's Edge Network products, identify opportunities, recommend appropriate solutions leveraging NXP architectures, support customer evaluations, and resolve any product issues that may arise in the customer's system.
• Accountable to drive design wins in target accounts
• Lead proof of concept, solution design, and demonstrations to secure NXP solution's design-in
• Synthesize customer and competitive insights to improve product definition and roadmaps
• Direct the NXP design-in campaigns for assigned customers to ensure early involvement in the customer's technology roadmap and timely flow of information to all necessary parties within NXP and customer
• Understand and communicate how ecosystem solutions can position NXP in the best possible manner
• Qualify sales opportunities in terms of customer technical requirements and establishes NXP's value proposition/position relative to the competition
• Qualify the value of NXP's products (strengths versus competitive products) and quantifies the technical benefits derived from choosing NXP
• Own the system software architect role to ensure broader technical team understands the software value proposition for system proposals
• Successfully build relationships with sales team members, business lines, partners and customers in support of sales team objectives
• Analyze customer's technical objectives through the use of relevant data gathering techniques enabling the sales team to be more predictive, effective and responsive to customer needs
• Assist in educating Field Sales Engineers on new technologies, new product features and their related business value
• Bachelor's (master's degree preferred) in computer science/engineering or electrical engineering
• GPA > 3.0
• 1 – 2 years of work or internship experience in engineering environment
• Experience in working at customer sites for debug and technical support
• Experience with C, C++, Python, Perl
• Proven knowledge of Linux distributions and deployment models
• Ability to quickly prototype functionality in software to demonstrate key product application examples.
• Willing to travel, majority domestic
• Proven track record of quickly learning new technologies
• Ability to read, understand and review schematics and provide design recommendations is highly desired
Mandatory and specific technical expertise
The candidate will be a FAE supporting NXP's MPU processors (Layerscape, PowerQUICC) & solutions. These products require solid knowledge of embedded programming, Linux, build environments, network processing knowledge. Additionally the role requires the ability to support customer board bring-up and debug activities with JTAG enabled and Linux development tools.
The following skills are mandatory requirements:
• Work experience or university experience engaging with above technologies
• Willingness to engage with customers in both pre-sales and post-sales support
• Excellent communication and presentation skills. Strong customer presence.
• Demonstrated Knowledge in one or more of the following interfaces: Ethernet, DDR, PCIe, SATA, NAND/QSPI Flash, eMMC/SD, USB, SPI
• Knowledge of 32/64 bit microprocessor architecture. (ARM Cortex A)
• Familiarity with evaluation board deployment
• Expertise in Real-Time OS systems and Linux (uboot, UEFI)
• Knowledge of virtualization technologies (Containers, Dockers)
• Working knowledge of high-speed board design and layout techniques
• Familiarity with graphics engines, machine learning concepts, and ML deployment models is a plus
NXP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer regardless of age, color, national origin, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, status as a disabled veteran and/or veteran of the Vietnam Era or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, NXP will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified disabled individuals.