Principal Engineer, Power Design (Engineering)
The Principal Engineer, Power Design will serve a lead role in research, design and development of new technologies and products for AC and DC power sources. This person will be tasked with evaluating and implementing emerging technologies, running simulations, and designing the power and control hardware content for the realization of new products. Responsibilities also include providing technical leadership to teams of engineers across different disciplines and coordinating activities for transition of products from engineering into manufacturing.
Roles & Responsibilities
This position has responsibility for:
• Bring new technologies into product architectures as solutions to the implementation of requested product functions.
• Innovate new product features based on ability to transform technical possibilities into practical realities.
• Provide technical leadership in the realm of power design.
• Develop high-level product architectures, power converter topologies, and analog/digital controls infrastructure.
• Provide technical expertise in the areas of power conversion, magnetics, analog/digital controls, modeling and simulation. Design power converters, interface circuits, and controls, at the system and circuit level, as utilized in high-performance programmable AC and DC power products.
• Participate with project teams throughout the development cycle in the design, documentation, and release of new products.
• Provide technical leadership to coordinate work of other engineers/designers in associated disciplines: mechanical packaging, thermal design, PWB design, digital hardware and firmware design.
• Oversee fabrication, troubleshooting, and verification testing of prototypes throughout the development cycle. Generate test plans, procedures, and summary reports for product validation testing, including compliance with regulatory agency standards.
• Participate in structured, cross-functional product development projects, working within constraints of program schedule, budget, and goals, and ensuring appropriate balance of product reliability, specification performance, and cost.
In order to perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Working with ambiguity - Achieves forward progress in the face of poorly defined situations and/or unclear goals; able to work effectively with limited or partial information.
• Displaying technical expertise - Keeps his/her technical skills current; effectively applies specialized knowledge and skills to perform work tasks; understands and masters the technical skills, knowledge, and tasks associated with his/her job; shares technical expertise with others.
• Critical thinking - Skilled at finding logical flaws in arguments and plans; identifies problems and solutions that others might miss; provides detailed insight and constructive criticism into problems and complex situations.
• Drive for results - Aggressively pursues challenging goals and objectives; will to put in considerable time and effort to accomplish objectives; takes a highly focused, goal driven approach toward work.
• Making Accurate Judgments and Decisions - Bases decisions on a systematic review of relevant facts and information; avoids making assumptions or rushing to judgment; provides clear rationale for decisions.
Minimum Qualifications (Experience and Skills)
• Minimum of 12 years of experience relevant to the design of power conversion products.
• Ability to organize and lead a group of engineers to achieve design results.
• Leader who can help develop the technical skills of the team.
• Proficiency in design of high-frequency, switched-mode power conversion; strong skills in soft-switching and resonant topologies are preferred.
• Proficiency in design of analog circuits, having high accuracy and stability, using analytically based design methodologies.
• Proficiency in feedback control theory, with the ability to correlate product performance requirements with feedback control loop implementation.
• Proficiency in magnetic design: materials selection, core/winding optimization, thermal design, modeling, and practical manufacturing techniques.
• Competency in high-frequency design techniques for signal integrity, PWB layout, system interface, and EMI control.
• Competency in the utilization of computer software (MatLab, Simulink, PSpice, Mathcad, Excel) in the design process of power and control circuits for schematic capture, modeling and simulation, mathematical analysis, and data manipulation.
• Competency in design of electronic assemblies: components packaging, environmental constraints, and design for manufacturability, testability, and serviceability.
• Experienced in digital hardware design as applied to power conversion, including ADC/DAC signal conversion, microcontrollers and programmable logic devices, and high-speed digital communications.
• Knowledgeable of design requirements for compliance with domestic and international standards for safety and electromagnetic compatibility.
• Knowledgeable of real-time, embedded digital control systems is preferred: digital control techniques for power conversion based on DSPs and FPGAs, firmware-implemented control algorithms, high-speed data acquisition, instrumentation buses and protocols for communications, control, and programming.
• Ability to communicate and document design work with clarity and completeness.
• Team player with strong sense of urgency to meet product requirement with punctuality and professionalism.
• Experience collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams.
• Good interpersonal skills, written and oral communication skills, and the ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
• Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering with 12 years' experience or MSEE with 8 years' experience. PhD strongly preferred.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against
any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex,
age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity,
status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal,
state or local protected class. .