Sr. AWS Cloud Engineer- Waltham, MA; Naples, FL; Remote option (Information Technology)
THIS ROLE CAN BE BASED IN EITHER OF THESE LOCATIONS, OR FULLY REMOTE
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS AREA
Arthrex is a global medical device company that has over thirty-five (35) years of experience in the orthopedic industry. We are looking for a Senior AWS Cloud Engineer to join our talented and highly collaborative team of engineers.
In this role you will work alongside other engineers to build and maintain our AWS infrastructure and custom platform tooling. You will work closely with the development teams to solve difficult problems and ensure we provide the best possible platform to make our products successful. Our roadmap over the next several months includes improving our monitoring tools/process, security enhancements, cost reduction and becoming the center of excellence for AWS and Cloud Architecture at Arthrex.
Ideal candidates have the following experience:
- 5+ years of software development
- 2+ years of managing infrastructure in AWS
- 1+ years using Kubernetes(EKS) and Docker
- Writing infrastructure as code (CloudFormation, Terraform, etc.)
- Automation tools (GitHub Actions, CircleCI, etc)
There will be many other opportunities to contribute to other projects and layers of the stack, but you don't need to be an expert in those areas right now. Some of those other technologies are listed below:
- AWS - Lambda, API Gateway, MediaLive, Dynamo DB and many more
- Serverless Framework
- POSIX shell scripting (e.g. Bash) and other languages such as Ruby and Python
- REST APIs (Node.js, GoLang, etc.)
- Test Automation (WebdriverIO, Cucumber, Gherkin)
- Web and Mobile projects
- Logging, monitoring and alerting tools
Benefits: Arthrex provides a competitive compensation package with a positive workplace culture where employees exhibit great pride and camaraderie. Arthrex employees are enthusiastic, hardworking and dedicated to Arthrex's corporate mission of Helping Surgeons Treat Their Patients Better.
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Free lunch, Monday thru Thursday
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- 401k Retirement Plan with Matching Contributions
- Annual Bonus (40% of the bonus distributed in January and 60% in July)
Main Objective: Responsible for the design, maintenance and optimization of the software development platform that allows for the development, delivery and support of software products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists the Platform team on establishing best practices, patterns, and vision for the application and automation infrastructure.
- Mentors and trains other Platform engineers, conducting reviews of work, and teaches as needed.
- Maintains infrastructure systems and tools, providing support for development teams.
- Maintains and administrates shared tooling including off the shelf software, SaaS products, and custom tools.
- Researches and assesses new technologies for use within development, infrastructure, and automation processes. Adds these technologies to the roadmap as needed.
- Works closely with Software Development leadership and reports on the current roadmap and upcoming changes needed for the infrastructure.
- Works with development teams as needed to provide operational and infrastructure guidance for products to ensure business goals are met.
- Develops features for products as needed where platform expertise is needed. Plans for and transitions ownership of work to the development team.
- Develops automation systems for continuous integration & deployment.
- Monitors applications for abnormalities and proposes areas for improvement in regards to availability and speed of the applications.
- Is available to respond to any critical infrastructure related events during on-call rotation / or if an issue is escalated.
- Works effectively with members from different departments during all stages of software development lifecycle.
- Conducts platform-related training.
- Occasional travel for training, meetings or trade shows may be required.
- Works closely with GIS Security and Infrastructure teams to ensure Marketing technology and infrastructure complies with corporate policies and aligns with global business needs.
- Initiates and produces platform documentation and standard operating procedures.
- Collaborates with Operational, DevOps and Platform Engineers from other departments and organizations.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required, by management.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field preferred.
- Master's degree preferred.
- 5 years of hands-on experience developing and managing robust, high-availablity production systems required.
- 2 years of experience working alongsifde a software development team with knowledge of the entire software development lifecycle required.
- Experience with logging, performance monitoring and performance tuning tools such as Datadog.
- Experience with container virtualization such as Docker.
- Experience with serverless technologies such as Lambda.
- Experience with distributed version control systems such as Git.
- Experience with JIRA and Agile/Scrum are a plus.
- Experience managing relational database servers and assisting developers by giving suggestions for query tuning and database design. Experience with Postgres strongly preferred.
- Experience with NoSQL solutions is a plus. Knowledge of SQL required.
- Experience with management of Linux servers in a production environment. Experience with Debian is a plus.
- Experience provisioning and manager cloud services through code (infrastructure as code), such as Cloudformation or Terraform. Experience with AmazExperience provisioning and managing cloud services through code (infrastructure as code) such as Cloudformation or Terraform. Experience with Amazon's web services strongly preferred.
- Experience with automation and continuous integration tools (CircleCI, Browerstack, Runscope, etc.)
Knowledge and Skill Requirements/Specialized Courses and/or Training:
- Solid understanding of development/coding methodologies.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with scripting languages such as POSIX shell scripting (e.g. Bash), Ruby, Python is required. Knowledge of web development frameworks such as Ruby on Rails is a plus.
- Knowledge of high-availability concepts and experience with deployment of high-availability applications.
- Ability to work effectively with little supervision and strong attention to detail in a team environment.
- Requires the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time.
- Individual must be highly motivated and self-directed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.