Product Architect - Research and Development - Area 51 (Engineering)
At Garmin, we're always striving to improve products, processes or systems. Area 51 is our internal product Research & Development team. From kids wearables and hybrid watches to the latest lidar and sonar technologies, we are in constant pursuit of new markets and cutting edge technologies. In Area 51, you will have opportunities to contribute as an “intrapreneur” – we will surround you with a team of innovators with diverse skill-sets. We incubate and execute your big ideas! If you're looking for an opportunity to bring your unique skills and perspective to a team focused on learning and venturing into uncharted territory, we want to speak with you!
We are looking for a full time Product Architect. In this role, your essential functions will include:
• Identify and create inspiration sources and new idea streams, with a focus on identifying new market opportunities
• Research and analyze credible sources for technology, design and consumer trends
• Identify and interview associates who are passionate about an activity that is not presently served by our products
• Discover unmet customer needs and desires by attending new market conferences, participate in new market activities and survey customers to discover needs
• Successfully communicate product vision, conceptual ideas and design rationale
You'll also be responsible for creating visual or physical prototypes, including detailed interaction specifications, develop criteria for new products including requirements, features, product ecosystem strategy and product lifecycle strategy, and work closely with Engineering, Sales and Marketing to develop initial product roadmap for a new market
A Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering, Business, or Design with a cumulative GPA greater than or equal to 3.0 as a general rule is required for this role. Qualified candidates must possess a minimum of 5 years industry experience in consumer product development and a track record of designing and developing disruptive technology and/or commercially successful consumer products.
Other requirements include:
• Must be passionate, enthusiastic and enjoy exploration and hands-on work
• Proven background and experience in product management and rapid prototyping
• Must effectively demonstrate a self-starting, results-oriented, positive, proactive, solution-focused approach
• Demonstrated strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• Hands on sales and marketing experience a plus
Candidates with experience writing product, marketing or business plans, the ability to work proactively and effectively with minimal supervision, and recent experience in an individual contributor role with a proven track record and demonstrated ability to drive requirements through participation in cross functional teams are preferred. An entrepreneurial spirit with experience starting a business or serving as a technical member of a start-up company is a huge plus!
Our benefits, designed to lead an evolving marketplace, support innovation and encourage a healthy balance between work and life, keep us competitive and allow our associates to make their own decisions about their well-being and future. We offer a choice of healthcare plans—with low or no premiums—which consistently rank in the 90th percentile when compared to other high-tech employers, plus dental and vision plans for you and your family. In addition, our financial benefits rate 82% above the median for technology companies comparable in size. Our 401K retirement plan provides 5% of pay base contribution plus a match of 75 cents for every dollar you contribute to a maximum of 10% of your compensation. The employee stock purchase plan allows for shares to be bought at a 15% discount.
Relocation assistance available
Never been to Kansas City? You are missing out! Check out http://www.thinkkc.com/with/garmin
Garmin International is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran's status, age or disability.