HEARST MAGAZINES INC
Commerce Editor, Esquire (Creative Design)
Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with more than 25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and O the Oprah Magazine. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.
But we're more than just our magazines. We engage our audience across all mediums and channels - print, digital, video and social – with sophisticated content creation, distribution and data capabilities. We create, package and sell products with cutting-edge technology and proprietary platforms. Together, we are reinventing publishing for the 21st century.
The Commerce Editor will report to the Commerce Director and is responsible for contributing to the market and e-commerce coverage across Esquire.com. Esquire's goal is to highlight the best products available to its readers in the food, drink, home, tech, gaming, gifting, style and fashion spaces by curating and highlighting the products most likely to resonate with our readers. The Commerce Editor will work directly with the Commerce Director to help develop our ecomm strategy. This person will also be responsible for assigning and editing as well as writing and pitching in an effort to provide readers clarity and range in the products they are in search of, while also delivering the “why” in Esquire's voice.
What You'll Do
• Work closely with the SEO and e-commerce teams to aid in the production of market coverage based on keyword optimization and affiliate relationships
• Work closely with the Commerce Director to plan out strategy and content
• Dive into the data to understand how people are shopping from Esquire.com, and continually update and refine coverage to optimize for conversion while maintaining the highest standards for our readers
• Assign and edit multiple stories from staffers and freelancers throughout the day
• Write multiple smart and engaging stories with a strong voice and point of view throughout the day
• Work with the art team to help bring stories to life across a range of different platforms
• Pitch stories to the Commerce Director for upcoming themes and features, based on revenue and performance data
• Build posts from freelancers in the CMS
Who You Are
• 3-5 years experience editing, writing and producing content for digital media
• Ability to interpret data from multiple sources and apply those insights to Esquire's ever-evolving style e-commerce strategy
• Experience balancing many different factors—from SEO to e-commerce to traffic—to optimize online content
• Enthusiasm about all the fun, sometimes-strange, and interesting aspects of the shopping world and to help readers better understand why they should purchase something
• Investment in the overall success of Esquire, and a desire to contribute across many different platforms
This role requires the position to be located in New York, NY with an in-office presence of 3 days a week.
The base salary for this role is between $67,000 to $75,000 annually. The actual base pay offered is dependent upon many factors, such as: transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.