Youth Counselor (Personal Services)
Family Resources takes great pride in our Youth Counselor employees! The role of a Youth Counselor at Family Resources is responsible for implementing the interventions identified in each youth's treatment plan by providing direct care services in the milieu and community that are client centered, strengths based, and professional manner. The Youth Counselor will provide for supervision and safety of clients as well as recreational and therapeutic socially appropriate activities. The Youth Counselor will complete documentation in a manner that is compliant with state, federal, accredited and enterprise standards.
Shift Opening: 2:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. weekdays and weekends
Starting pay varies depending education and experience
40 hours position
Full benefits available
This position is located in Davenport, Iowa
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Provides consistent, individualized reinforcement to a youth's behavior, using daily issues to teach and reinforce adaptive behaviors.
• Utilizes a proactive/preventive method of intercepting problems to neutralize them before they escalate.
• Strategically utilizes identified behavior management techniques and other de-escalation training to assist youths in developing appropriate behaviors.
• Assists youths in developing insight into their behaviors so that they learn to self-identify and self-correct.
• Understands the impact of youth's behaviors on their own actions/reactions in the workplace and utilizes team feedback to enhance the effectiveness of their interventions.
• Knows the population and is aware of and implements the individualized treatment plan of each client.
• Provides daily living supervision and treatment intervention.
• Establishes a therapeutic relationship with the client based on trust and respect
• Evaluates the impact of behavioral, group treatment, and life-space interventions and provides direction/feedback.
• Assures consistent, ongoing, and timely provision for basic youth needs
• Follows medication management guidelines and delivery.
• Safely transports youth to/from program activities and community resources monitoring behaviors and following agency transportation protocols.
• Effectively participates in team to review case progress and provide best programming,
• Maintain good team participation and interaction.
• Maintain positive role modeling and perform as an agent of change for the youth
• Develop and maintain a working knowledge of Behavior Health Intervention Services (BHIS) and Medicaid requirements and standards.
• Complete documentation of services a timely manner – complete daily case notes, behavior management, visual checks, etc. before the end of the scheduled shift.
Must be at least 21 years of age and possess a High School Diploma or GED.
A Bachelor's Degree in a human services related field and experience preferred. To be eligible to provide BHIS Services you must have a BA degree in a related field or a BA from a non-related field and completion of the 30 hours of BHIS training OR AA degree in social science filed + 1 year experience in child mental health services OR High School Diploma/GED+ a minimum of 5 years child mental health services.
Seeking candidates that are entry level who would like to gain experience and confidence to candidates with experience and college degrees.
Bilingual and/or bi-cultural applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
About Family Resources
At Family Resources, we believe in strengthening children, families and individuals in our community - it's the passion that permeates everything we do. Family Resources has grown to become one of the state's largest agencies devoted to child welfare, juvenile justice, mental health, and survivor services. We recognize that these children, families, and individuals come to us from a variety of circumstances, which makes it important for us to reach them where they are right now.
Family Resources offers a comprehensive benefit package, excellent wages, and opportunities for growth & advancement!
Equal Opportunity Employer that thrives on Diversity!