Genesee and Wyoming Railroad
Director, Public Projects (Information Technology)
This position is responsible for Managing Public Projects on behalf of Genesee & Wyoming's Railroads in the United States. The successful candidate will be able to operate in a fast paced, demanding environment and be able deliver cost-effective and timely completion of public projects in a manner that is responsive to regional requirements. Excellent organizational skills, resource management and attention to detail are essential to be effective execution in this position.
• Lead the public projects process for all G&W United States railroads in a manner that ensures timely and cost-efficient completion of the projects and full compliance with all G&W standards, rules and applicable FRA regulations.
• Manage G&W's selected public projects consultant to provide timely and cost-effective completion of all assigned public projects.
• Develop and maintain quality working relationships with the funding agencies.
• Develop and maintain quality working relationships with regional and railroad Engineering staff and General Managers to ensure that railroad project requirements are met and that railroad relationships with the funding agencies are enhanced.
• Assist railroads and regions with providing oversight of project contractors to ensure quality completion of awarded projects and that projects fully meet G&W standards and work has been accomplished in compliance with all G&W and FRA rules and regulations.
• Ensure that all public projects are completed in full compliance with FHWA or other funding agency requirements.
• Maintain all required documents to ensure full audit (both internal and government agency) compliance of all projects.
• Perform regular field audits of public projects work in progress to ensure project specifications compliance and compliance with all G&W and FRA rules and regulations.
• Lead by example through full rules compliance when in the field and set the expectation of full rules compliance of all staff and contractors.
• Provide appropriate, consistent and timely communication with internal and external customers including purchasing, regional engineering, suppliers, agencies and other departmental interfaces.
• Proactively plan, troubleshoot and communicate issues to ensure projects are on-time and within budget. If conditions require additional agency funding for project completion ensure encumbrance is in place before authorizing additional work.
• Develop, and grow regional relationships vital to the success of all public projects.
• Other projects and duties as assigned by the Director Bridge Design and Planning.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum of 10 years railroad engineering experience and minimum 5 years experience in railroad public projects management, signals, track and engineering.
• Thorough working knowledge of FRA regulations, AREMA recommended practices and FHWA requirements for the handling of public projects.
• Demonstrated experience in railroad signals (active warning devices) installation and maintenance.
• Demonstrated experience in railroad track construction, maintenance and civil engineering projects.
• Demonstrated experience in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to walk on uneven slopes, work in all weather conditions.
• Ability to accurately express railroad engineering terminology in written and oral communication.
• Must be willing to travel 50% or more covering the G&W North America railroads.
• Ability to communicate effectively with regions and senior management teams, employees, customers, railroads, regulatory agency officials, funding agency officials and the general public.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR CREDENTIALS:
• Education Required or Equivalent Experience: Bachelor's degree (Engineering degree preferred) and 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Preferred: Masters of Science in Civil or Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited school of engineering or Professional Engineer.
• 50% or more covering the G&W North America railroads.
• Ability to report to work with minimal advance notice
• Work flexible daily schedules, including weekends, dictated by travel distance and inspection schedules.
This position is employed by the specific entity set forth in the job posting.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.