Great Lakes Cheese
3rd Shift Machine Operator (Manufacturing)
Founded in 1958, Great Lakes Cheese is the largest packager of natural cheese in the United States. We are proud to offer our retail, foodservice, and co-pack customers with award-winning natural and processed bulk, shredded, and sliced cheeses.
At Great Lakes Cheese, we believe in the value of values. We are true partners internally and externally, building on a foundation of respect and putting forth our best at every opportunity. This partnership approach has driven our tremendous growth and earned us awards such as the #8 Top Workplace in Northeast Ohio.
Our Employee Stock Ownership Plan makes every employee an owner. GLC Owners are problem solvers - they look for opportunities to help and take action. Our Owners are passionate about their work and eagerly advance their knowledge and capabilities. Most importantly, they act with integrity. At Great Lakes Cheese, we do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.
Join our Great Lakes Cheese family and own a piece of the action.
The Machine Operator operates machinery to meet customer specifications in compliance with company policy related to GMPs and Safety. Acts in lead capacity to ensure line is running efficiently.
• Maintain area, equipment and personal sanitation.
• Ensure proper set up of film, zipper, labels, cheese and operation of machinery.
• Frequently inspect conveyor belt to ensure smooth flow of cheese.
• Inspect Machine E stops to ensure functionality before production starts.
• Load cheese.
• Grease/clean machine and perform basic maintenance tasks based on preventative maintenance schedule.
• Ensure cheese quality.
• Ensure that products produced are within the weight specification/regulation per our Statistical Process Control (SPC) programming system.
• Disassembly and assembly of equipment.
• Sanitation of machinery.
• Productive use of down time.
• Communicate to line personnel on daily production issues, changes, and safety issues.
• Operate assigned equipment safely and efficiently.
• All GLC employees are expected to perform any assignment or job task according to the stated safety policies & procedures.
• All GLC employees are expected to produce our products in a manner that exceeds the quality and value expectation of our customers and consumers by adhering to Good Manufacturing Practices, Policies and Procedures outlined in our Safe Quality Food Program.
• Other responsibilities as assigned by the manager.
• High School Diploma or GED.
• Basic understanding of manufacturing processes and related equipment.
• Ability to make minor decisions based on standard practices.
• Ability to read, prepare, and comprehend production reports and worksheets.
• Ability to communicate with line personnel regarding information contained therein, and regarding quality & safety issues.
• Ability to motivate and build teamwork.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks, troubleshoot and problem solve.
• Above average mechanical ability required.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
• Ability to take metric measurements and measurements of temperature.
• Good troubleshooting skills.
• SAP experience.
• MES experience.
• Basic computer skills.
Great Lakes Cheese is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.