NORTHWEST PIPE COMPANY
Laborer I (Construction)
SUMMARY OF JOB PURPOSE:
LABORER I – this level of Laborer is responsible for performing general manual laborer requiring no special training and little or no experience. Individuals in this position work with and around, and may operate, various tools, machines and equipment. This position will also assist in the departmental housekeeping and safety efforts and perform other duties as directed. Work normally is performed under close supervision; however, close supervision is not always available for routine and repetitive tasks which can be carried on without difficulty once they are learned. As work experience is gained, employee may be assigned to tasks that are more difficult in nature and require more responsibility.
LABORER II – this level of Laborer is responsible for performing duties described for a Laborer I. While this level of laborer does not require special training or experience, the qualifications and prior experience must be at a higher level. Work normally is performed under limited to close supervision. As work experience is gained, employee may be assigned to tasks that are more difficult in nature and require more responsibility.
LABORER III / IV – this level of Laborer is responsible for performing duties described for a Laborer II. This level of laborer does require advanced training, qualifications and experience. Work normally is performed under minimal supervision. Employees in this position may be responsible for leading the work of other laborers and will be provided on-the-job training (OJT) to learn the skills necessary to fulfill a designated position in their respective department.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Performs various general labor work including shoveling, clean up and removal of damaged lining
• Operation of hand tools and equipment
• Receives OTJ to apply various coatings and linings to pipe by machine and/or hand application
• May also cross train to learn how to apply and operate machines / equipment for other various types of pipe coatings
• Finish cement
• Inspect pipe before and after pipe is coated and or lined
• Cleans and inspects machines
• Loads and unloads product in to specific machines
• Operate forklift and skip loader
• Ensures pipe is cleaned prior to entering paint machine area
• Loads and unloads product in the paint and tape machine area
• Assists workers in diagnosing problems associated with the taping and painting of product
• Inspects and maintains paint and sandblasting machine to ensure production of quality product
• Loads paint product on paint machine in a safe manner
• Operates poly paint machine in a safe manner
• Follows SOX and ISO procedures
• Other duties may be assigned as necessary
• This position provides support to the Coatings & Linings departments to ensure work areas are neat, clean, free from clutter and safe.
• There are no supervisory responsibilities for this position.
• This position may interact within all levels of the Northwest Pipe organization. Additionally, this position may have contact with business partners, customers, vendors, visitors and / or government agencies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
• Must be able to learn how to operate a variety of coating & lining machines and equipment
• Capable of following all safety requirements, work rules and regulations
• Ability to comprehend and follow instructions
• Ability to read gauges and watch guides
• Ability to obtain and maintain forklift certification if required
• High school diploma or equivalent preferred
• Prefer two years experience in a heavy manufacturing environment
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• None required
Our organization maintains a drug-free workplace. Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successful passing of a drug test and background check. Northwest Pipe Company is committed to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action. Minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Northwest Pipe Company reserves the right to close the position, with or without notice, if a qualified candidate is identified prior to the close date.