Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
Associate - Interior Designer (Creative Design)
At SOM, we are a collective committed to shaping a better future for our clients, communities and planet. We aspire to create the most sustainable, impactful work through creative, interdisciplinary teams with all the resources and diversity of a global firm. We value those who are passionate about excellence, innovation, integrity, inclusivity, and collaboration. Together we can achieve great things.
Success at SOM Means
● Ideas: We believe in a meritocracy of ideas. We look to everyone to actively contribute to the discourse in the firm.
● Knowledge: We believe that expertise is the result of lifelong learning. We are not expected to know everything, but rather to passionately pursue answers, develop new skills and deepen our knowledge.
● Product: We strive for excellence in the concept, quality, and delivery of our work.
● Individual: We value individuals who bring the highest standards of professionalism and personal integrity in the way they work. Each person can develop and contribute their wealth of attributes, skills and knowledge to support the overall health of the firm.
● Team: We value the power of interdisciplinary integration. A positive team culture in which everyone collaborates openly towards common goals is essential.
● Firm: We have a history of making transformative contributions to the profession and our communities. We are constantly innovating and attempting to bring new approaches, solutionsand processes to our work.
● Demonstrates team and project experience inclusive of managing client relationships, and project teams for small, medium and large-scale corporate, hospitality and/or residential interiors projects.
● Ability to plan, organize, direct, mentor, and coordinate work efforts for the technical, design and/or management aspects of a project team, through all phases of a project, with minimal oversight from Associate Principal, Principal, Partner.
● Provides technical/design/management input and support for the development of the entire design concept through all phases of the project, under an Associate Principal, Principal or Partner.
● Collaborative and professional work ethic; leads by example motivating project teams in an inclusive and positive approach.
● Demonstrates knowledge of Interiors and Architecture Industry Best Practices including programming, planning, design, construction documentation and construction administration, as well as consulting engineering engagement and coordination.
● Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of Interior Architecture and Architectural design including workplace planning and design concept development (hospitality and/or residential as applicable), design and detailing standards, building materials, building systems, current and applicable building and fire codes, FF&E, construction techniques and current market cost(s) costing trends.
● Participates in the planning, scheduling, and organization of project plans for design, technical, and/or project management tools/documents relative to project parameters and in collaboration with senior project team leaders.
● Demonstrates leadership in terms of implementing SOM standard procedures and protocols for the technical, design and/or management aspects of a project to assure continuity, coordination and consistency of project documentation across the firm in support of overall office wide goals.
● Proactively checks and coordinates project documents (design phase documents, technical documents and/or project management tools/documents) and is responsible for quality control of such tasks in accordance with SOM's quality control program.
● Seeks creative and innovative solutions to complex problems and develops appropriate research and documentation to support these solutions.
● Participates in marketing and business development efforts.
● Demonstrates detailed knowledge of local office standards, policies and procedures and can direct others in the use of those resources.
● Actively leads a project team.
● Directly supervises, trains, and mentors team members.
● Engages in talent strategy to find specialists, leaders, and future professionals for the firm through resume review and interviews.
● Demonstrates leadership in the implementation of sustainable strategies in all project assignments and the associated development of staff knowledge.
● Creates and drives new ways of working through contributing to the development of services, standards, procedures based in an understanding of the business principles that protect SOM from financial and legal risk.
● Professional degree in Architecture and/or Interior Design.
● Licensed in state of practice or must be NCIDQ Certified; LEED accreditation preferred.
● Minimum 8 years of experience or equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities.
● General understanding of sustainable strategies and principles including familiarity with LEED or other green building rating systems.
● Strong verbal and written communication skills.
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Workspace.
● Familiarity with BIM and Revit Tools, and demonstrates practical understanding of the application of digital tools such as Rhinoceros, Grasshopper, Navisworks, Ladybug, Enscape, VR, ADOBE Suite, etc.
● Actively supports compliance with BIM/CAD project standards and procedures.
Are you ready to join a team of creative professionals working on transformational projects around the world? Take advantage of this exciting opportunity to build a better future with SOM.
Health and Wellness: Medical, dental, vision, disability, and life & accident insurance
Savings: 401K matching, pre-tax spending accounts, and employee discount programs
Work/Life Balance: Hybrid/Flexible schedules, paid family leave, paid vacation, backup child and elder care, and an employee assistance program
Professional Development: Reimbursement for professional licenses, associated renewals, and exam fees as well as specialized in-house career development
Compensation for this role is based upon experience, qualifications, location, and education and typically ranges from $100,000 to $140,000.
Our creative, interdisciplinary teams work like small, dynamic studios, with all the resources and diversity of a global firm. Here, you'll collaborate with industry experts on some of the most exciting and transformative architecture, engineering, and planning projects in the world.
We believe an inclusive environment improves our teams, our firm, and our communities and are passionate about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Our DEI Action Plan was created to bring meaningful change to our profession, starting with our own culture and practices.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM's employment policy as well as additional information such as a privacy notice for California residents and how to apply offline.
For more about SOM: www.som.com
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.