Fuel System Specific Controls (FSSC) Performance Engineer (Engineering)
Our culture believes in POWERING YOUR POTENTIAL. We provide global opportunities to develop your career, make you community a better place and work with most innovative thinkers to solve world's toughest problems.
We believe in flexibility for you to explore your passions while making an impact through meaningful work within our inclusive workforce. That's what #LifeAtCummins is all about.
We are looking for a Fuel System Specific Controls (FSSC) Performance Engineer to join our team specializing in Corporate Emission Solutions for our Component Business Segment in Columbus, IN.
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
- This product focused position tailors electronic systems for Cummins products. People in these positions will configure (tune), integrate, test, and release software, electronic control units, tools, sensors, actuators, and harnesses into an electronic system that controls the operation of Cummins' products in a variety of customer applications.
Investigates electronic application and systems problems, understands causal mechanisms, recommends appropriate action, owns problem resolution and documents results with guidance from more experienced team members.
- Applies and supports the improvement of electronic application and systems development processes and tools. Processes include system specification, modeling and simulation, calibration, Design Verification Plan and Report (DVP&R), and troubleshooting. Tools include Simulink, calibration tools, and PTC Integrity.
Obtains input and negotiates with product and software development teams and delivers control system designs, verified and calibrated software features and builds to product teams.
- Makes decisions in the areas of electronic system design, requirements, calibration, and test that impact the quality and performance of individual calibrated features and/or components.
- Owns problem resolution for moderately complex components, products, systems, subsystems or services with a greater degree of technical complexity and ambiguity over the entry level engineer level and with greater accountability to the project team.
- Provides independent execution of established work processes and systems, while still developing technology or product knowledge; engages with the improvement of systems and processes.
- Involves minimal direct management of people, but could involve the coordination and direction of work amongst technicians and/or temporary student employees.
Contributes effectively toward team goals, exhibits influence within a work group and continues to develop proficiency in the competency areas critical to success in the role.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
Min Bachelor's degree in Engineering, and Master's degree is preferred.
Prior entry level engineering equivalent work experience (2 plus) in a relevant discipline area is required.
This position focuses on the following objectives:
- Troubleshoot fuel system controls on customer engine platforms.
- Enable the use of new fuel system hardware by tailoring and tuning existing calibrations.
- Design and calibrate new fuel system control algorithms. Write Tuning Guides and Concept of Operation documents that adhere to established best practices.
- The ideal candidate will be knowledgeable in the following areas: Fuel system hardware including injectors and high pressure pump, Excel data analysis, Matlab scripting and Simulink simulation, Classic PID and modern model-based (Kalman filter) control theory, Digital signal processing, Object-oriented design and real-time embedded software, 6Sigma design process, Engineering tools (Calterm, Canape)
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify.
Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity and start your career with Cummins today.
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: