The Chicago Lighthouse for the Blind
Paraprofessional Teaching Assistant (Education)
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
Assist Special Education Teacher in providing academic and independent living skills' instruction, developmental activities and daily care of visually impaired and severe-profound children during the school day under the immediate supervision of teacher, with guidance from Sr. Director of Educational Services.
· Follow guidelines, goals and activities established for each child by teacher.
· Assist with physical and socialization needs of children.
· Assist children in activities of daily living -- toileting, feeding, personal hygiene, dressing and diapering.
· Assist in general orientation and mobility and exercises under the direction of appropriate staff (Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Orientation & Mobility Instructor).
· Participate with children on field trips and swimming activities, observing and guarding against accidents.
· Observe and assist in completing monthly reports regarding children's behavior and development for permanent file.
· Participate in staff meetings and assist in interpreting the program to parents and guests.
· Attend curriculum and in-service meetings.
· Exhibit constant concern for child's well-being and safety at all times on agency premises.
· Assist in keeping classrooms clean and orderly.
· Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
The Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired is an Equal Opportunity Employer in full compliance with local, state, and federal Civil Rights & Affirmative Action laws. The Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired maintains a strong policy of accommodation and a consistent practice of employing qualified individuals with disabilities. All applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunity without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, sexual orientation, military status, order of protection status or unfavorable discharge from military service.