San Bernardino Education
Health Educator (Youth Programs) (Personal Services)
Planned Parenthood of Orange and San Bernardino Counties has a full-time opportunity for a Community Health Educator (Youth Programs) in San Bernardino, CA.
A Community Health Educator implements comprehensive sexual and reproductive health programs for youth and young adults throughout Orange and San Bernardino Counties that align with the content requirements of the CA Healthy Youth Act. This position provides educational presentations and outreach to the community through in-person instruction and virtual platforms as needed. The ideal candidate will have the ability to connect and create relationships with a wide range of community partners, including school-based officials and community-based organizations, to promote programming and develop a network of partners to share resources.
At PPOSBC, we understand the importance of a well-rounded benefits program and are dedicated to providing you with unique benefits that meet the needs of you and your family. We are proud to offer a range of plans that help protect you in the case of illness or injury including:
Essential Functions: Essential functions encompass the required tasks, duties, and responsibilities performed as part of the job and the reason the job exists.
• Schedule and deliver age-appropriate, medically accurate, and unbiased presentations on reproductive health topics such as: contraception, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), healthy relationships, and more, while providing information about accessing services, including at Planned Parenthood health centers.
• Attend outreach events and conduct community outreach efforts to provide information related to sexual and reproductive health, access to health care, and Planned Parenthood services.
• Maintain expertise in comprehensive sexual and reproductive health education that aligns with the content requirements of the CA Health Youth Act, including minor rights to accessing care.
• Attend trainings, internal staff meetings, and community coalitions to maintain and increase knowledge of topics, education techniques, community resources, agency protocols, referral procedures, and all Planned Parenthood programs.
• Perform health education duties for target populations through schools, community-based agencies, juvenile correctional institutions, social services agencies, and other community settings.
• Implement and deliver age-appropriate interactive activities, with relevance for the varied groups.
• Support the Youth Programs Supervisor with the Peer Education programs in both High School and College levels by assisting with trainings and meetings to achieve program objectives.
• Schedule and maintain calendar of presentations and events and act as liaison between scheduling agency and PPOSBC.
• Maintain accurate documentation of presentations and outreach, and collect statistical information as requested.
• Review presentation content and outreach materials and provide any feedback to Manager and Director about their age-appropriateness, cultural sensitivity, and effectiveness with target populations.
• Create and enhance educational articles and social media postings (Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok & BTSE) to align with seasonality and immediately relevant topics.
• Assist with the creation of educational videos, webinars, & other various multi-media projects.
Licensure and/or Certification Requirements:
• Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) is preferred, but not required.
• Bachelor's degree in Public Health, Health Sciences, or other related fields.
Minimum Work Experience:
• Experience in public speaking and/or presenting content to various audiences required.
• Bilingual skills in English & Spanish preferred.
• Strong commitment to the mission, policies, goals and philosophy of Planned Parenthood.
• Experience providing presentations and/or facilitating group discussions.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to demonstrate mature judgment, initiative and critical thinking.
• Ability to effectively communicate and present information to diverse audiences and communities required.
• Maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
• Ability to identify inappropriate or illegal situations and to make quick decisions about how to handle situations properly.
• Able to work flexible hours as needed, which may include evenings and weekends.
• General knowledge of social media platforms and ability to create content for postings to websites, webinars, and other platforms as requested.
Agency Standard Requirements:
• Strong commitment to quality healthcare and excellent customer service is required.
• Must thrive in a fast-paced, rigorous environment with changing priorities.
• Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
• Must demonstrate high-level computer skills including; Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. Electronic medical records experience may also be required.
• This position requires travel to other sites and locations; if using a personal vehicle to meet this requirement, a valid CA driver's license and current auto insurance in compliance with the minimum requirements of CA vehicle code are required